Monday, February 17, 2014

interview questions for internship

Interviews are definitely a good sign, but you're not the only one they are interviewing most likely. They are still weeding people out. You will want to research popular interview questions and rehearse your answers in front of a friend or mirror. I know it sounds silly, but trust me it will pay off. Make sure you dress appropriately. That means dress how they dress not how you think they might dress.

An interview means that you look good on paper and they are willing to spend their time on you. If you are able try going to your least desired locations first for practice. I'm not looking for a job right now but I still apply around just to interview.

What are some things that i should be aware of?  Research, reasearch, research. It is important to be knowledgeable about the company, their mission statement, core values, competitiors. All of this information is on their website.

What are some current events in the business world i should check up on? The hardest question you face is why you want to work in a particular industry. Tell the truth and try to sound as natural as possible. A lot of people spout all sorts of garbage and sound like they memorized a speech.

There are good and bad internships? Yes, there are. I had a good experience, but one of my close friends who worked at another accounting firm of equal size did not enjoy his time during the summer due to the atmosphere and lack of work.

What was your experience - did you learn alot or did they just give you busy work? Again, I had a good experience. I did learn quite a bit, but definitely not as much as some other interns would. This is because in accounting firms, such as Deloitte, the work slows down in the summer time b/c firms are mostly audited in the winter. There will be times where you have to dull things like filing, but that's the name of the game.

Was your internship paid or not paid? Mine was paid. Personally, I would never work as an unpaid intern. If a company can't pay for my services than that tells me a lot about the corporate culture and what I can expect if I should stay there. Of course, I could always leave and go somewhere else, but I think a better plan is to find a company to intern with that you can see staying on after graduation.

Would you recommend an internship to others? Definitely recommend an internship. You will be miles ahead of your peers in class and even if you choose to switch degrees, it looks awesome on a resume. In addition, many internships pay well above minimum wage. If you have an opportunity, take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment